Cardiologist Dr. Jeroen Braat is very experienced in cardiac rehabilitation and leads the cardiac rehabilitation program. Adequate rehabilitation ensures a higher quality of life. A mortality reduction can be achieved up to 30%.
Heart rehabilitation center
The MedifitReha rehabilitation center is the first health care institution on the Costa Blanca that makes it possible to rehabilitate under professional supervision with heart problems or after a cardiac procedure. Cardiologist Dr. Jeroen Braat with experience in cardiac rehabilitation is head of the high-quality cardiac rehabilitation program at the MedifitReha rehabilitation center.
Important to mention is that patients who have undergone an adequate rehabilitation have a higher quality of life. A mortality reduction can also be achieved up to 30%.
The cardiac rehabilitation program is designed for patients who:
- have received an AICD (Spanish DAI), which is an implanted internal defibrillator
- have undergone open-heart surgery (bypass or heart valve surgery)
- have had a dotter procedure, nowadays usually with stent placement
- have had an ablation (burning away cardiac arrhythmia)
- are suffering from heart failure (less physical or cramped as a result of a heart failure)
- have Angina Pectoris, pressure or chest pain due to constrictions in the arteries of the heart, called coronary arteries
The general principles of the cardiac rehabilitation program consist of:
- Tailor-made care: everyone is unique and deserves a tailor-made program
- Group connection: the presence of fellow sufferers and possible partner increases the effectiveness considerably
- Multidisciplinary: the specific knowledge of the various disciplines involved yields enormous added value.
- Cost effectiveness: after an adequate rehabilitation program you have considerably less chance of relapsing complaints, you are physically capable of more and you are less likely to end up in the hospital again. Good for you and certainly also for your health insurer.
The various disciplines involved consist of:
- Physiotherapists with years of experience in working with heart patients
The program is entirely in accordance with the guidelines of the Dutch Association for Cardiology (NVVC) and the Dutch Heart Foundation. The better centers in Europe work with exactly the same guidelines.
The rehabilitation-after-myocardial infarction program consists of:
- Intake interview: among other things we talk about the reason of the rehabilitation after a heart attack, review of the medication, determine and discuss risk factors for cardiovascular disease and so on.
- Physical examination
- Guarded bicycle test by means of ECG (determine the starting condition and possibly (residual) ischemia.) Blood pressure control during the test.
- If not yet made and necessary: echocardiogram
- Medical education, general story about most common heart diseases, symptoms, global explanation of the functioning of the heart, nutrition and possibility to ask questions.
- Weekly attendance at sports for supervision and possibly adjusting program or medication.
- Intake interview,looking, among other things, at possible physical obstacles; physical goals of rehabilitation after myocardial infarction.
- Training sessions are given every day of the week. During all workouts blood pressure and heart rate are monitored and noted. All findings and values are discussed weekly with the cardiologist.
- Relaxation exercises, a specially trained therapist gives relaxation therapy, on indication the number of sessions is determined.
- Rejection, in which the complete rehabilitation after heart attack is given in writing. Again, everything will be short-circuited with the cardiologist beforehand.
- Intake interview, specialist explanation about nutrition for heart patients, any necessary lifestyle changes and guidance during the entire rehabilitation process.
- Everyone gets an intake interview, an indispensable part, but unfortunately often underestimated. Depending on the patient’s indication and wish to expand to more sessions.
- Among other things we talk about fears and depression (visible or not).